25 Questions to Ask Before Relocating
Have you received a nephrology job offer that would require you to relocate? How do you determine if relocating to a new city or state is right for you?
Deciding to relocate is a personal decision, and accepting a new nephrology position is about more than the job.
Moving to a new location can be a complete life disruption, however, it can also offer new opportunities and experiences.
How do you decide if relocating is the right move for you? Before making a decision, pull out a pen and paper (or your computer) and make a pros and cons list.
Seeing your thoughts in black and white can help with the decision-making process.
Before deciding to accept a nephrology job in a new community, ask yourself the following:
- What makes this new job appealing?
- How does the hospital/clinic fit into the community?
- Where will I live?
- What will my new role entail?
- Are there chances for advancement?
- Who will pay for relocation expenses?
- What will the work/life balance be like?
- What’s the cost of living in the new community? Can I afford to live there?
- What’s the housing market like? Is it difficult to find a rental? Will I be buying a home?
- What else is there to do in the community?
- Can I find a social network in my new community?
- What’s the weather like?
- What’s the traffic like? Will I be able to get to work in a matter of minutes? Or will my commute be a long one?
- Is the culture at the hospital/clinic a good fit for me?
- Is my spouse or partner on board with moving to a new community? Will they be able to find a job or social network?
- Where will my children go to school? What’s the reputation of the school system?
- If I’m moving away from extended family, how often will I visit? Will they come to visit? How will holidays be celebrated?
- What is there to do in the new community?
- Do I have a backup plan?
- What is the medical licensing procedure for the state?
- Who are my colleagues? What is the work environment like?
- How will switching jobs affect my professional relationships?
- What kind of benefits are there?
- How will my quality of life be impacted?
- Am I ready for the unknown?